Home Fire Safety

With all the electronic devices plugged into our homes these days, just one short circuit or an overloaded outlet can start a fire. Take the time to check your plugs and wiring. It can make a difference.

Electrical Fires

Home computers, big screen TVs, game players, DVD players, answering machines, printers, surround-sound entertainment centers -just a few of the new electronic devices found in homes throughout Oregon. Each year, Oregonians are adding more and more electrical appliances, which is great if your home can handle it. But what if it can’t? Short circuits, overloaded outlets and other forms of electrical failure can start a fire. Below are some tips on how to lessen the possibility of an electrical fire in your home.

Safety Tips

  • Check electrical cords for signs of cracking and fraying. Replace cords showing signs of wear.
  • Avoid using extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, use one that is the appropriate size for the appliance.
  • Don’t cover electrical cords with rugs, carpets, furniture or other materials. Don’t drape electrical cords over hooks or nails.
  • Avoid overloading circuits. In the kitchen, for example, plug appliances like toasters and coffee makers into separate outlets.
  • If any electrical appliance smokes or smells, unplug it immediately. Don’t use it again until it’s been checked and repaired.
  • Use only the right size fuses in your fuse box.
  • If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet.
  • If you experience frequent problems with dimming lights and blown fuses, have a licensed electrician check the wiring.

Up Coming Events

  • No upcoming events
AEC v1.0.4

Receive Emergency Alerts

Florence residents and Lane County residents can sign up to receive emergency alerts directly to a cell phone by Clicking Here
Close