The following requirements will help you understand the importance of a Volunteer’s role in our community as well as what demands a Volunteer must commit to.
Commitment during the first year of service:
- Recruit Academy: 120 – 150 hours (depending on class size)
- Wildland: S-130/190 L180 : 24 hours
- Shift Work: Highly encouraged for work and continued education
- Awareness/Operations: 32 hours
- Regular drill training: 96 hours
- Extra, specialized training: 48 hours average
- Emergency Medical Responder: 48 hours
This time commitment is similar to a part-time job!
Siuslaw Valley Fire and Rescue utilizes volunteers (18 years and older) to protect life and property through firefighting and EMS activities, often performed under conditions which require strenuous physical exertion. Our academies consist of web-based course work done during the week prior to hands-on practical sessions on Fridays and Saturdays. At the conclusion of the academy, you will sign-up for shifts and work at our main station.
We are looking for people who care about our community and are willing to receive in depth cost-free training to become Firefighters. These individuals will work and train together with paid staff and our existing team of dedicated volunteers to respond on every type of alarm our agency receives. We are extremely proud of the level of professionalism and expertise our volunteers demonstrate.
If you are interested in serving our community, please contact us at (541) 997-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.